Craving mac & cheese but want something a little different? This Chicken Mac & Cheese recipe is just what you’re looking for! The chicken is cooked in sautéed onions and garlic for a delicious burst of flavor. Just add some veggies on the side and you’ve got a complete dinner that everyone is sure to enjoy. Depending what you have on the menu, it can also be a side dish.
When you want to have a homemade dinner but don’t want to spend forever in the kitchen, this Chicken Mac & Cheese recipe is just what you’re looking for. It’s not a super-quick dinner but you won’t be slaving over a hot stove for an hour. Have the family get help out and you’ll have dinner on the table in no time. Now, for the recipe!
Chicken Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 1lb bite-sized pasta (I used Pipette)
- 1 8oz pkg Cheddar Jack cheese
- ¼ C. grated Parmesan
- 2 Tbs flour
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs oil (I used canola)
- 1 C Milk
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 small onion
- ¼-1/2 tsp salt
- ¼-1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Put a pot of water on the stove to boil for pasta.
- While that is on, trim and clean fat from chicken breasts and cut into small bite-size pieces, about the size of the pasta.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
- Chop onion and garlic and add to heated pan and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, salt, and pepper, stirring occasionally to cook evenly. Cook until no longer pink.
- When water is boiling, add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Drain pasta.
- In the same pot you used to cook the pasta, add butter and flour. Stir until it forms a paste and starts to turn brown (aka Roux)
- The chicken should be done at this point. Do not drain. Stir the chicken breast mixture into the roux until coated then add milk.
- Add pasta and cheeses and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.
While you’re here, check out other delicious recipes!