This spring cake idea is a great way to take a store-bought cake and turn it into a colorful and delicious dessert!
I love the spring. The weather starts to get warmer. The leaves start to come back on the trees. And my favorite thing…the colors. The beauty of the flowers blooming and different colors makes me so happy! So do the colors on this spring cake. The coconut is tinted with bright neon food coloring and really pops!
- Store bought Angel Food Cake
- ½ pint strawberries, sliced
- ⅔ C. coconut flakes, divided in thirds
- 3 different food coloring colors
- 3 plastic sandwich bags (with zip top)
- cheesecake filling* for the frosting (see link in post)
- Put ⅓ of coconut flakes into each bag.
- Put a drop of different color food coloring in each bag and zip.
- Shake and squish around the coconut until colored evenly.
- Cut the top of the cake off (about 1 to 1½ inch from the top) and set the top aside.
- Using a fork or your fingers, pull out the middle of the cake, making sure to stay in the middle and not get too close to the outer or inner edge. (Save pieces for something else or discard.)
- fill with sliced strawberries, layering as flat as possible.
- Put the top of the cake back on.
- Frost with cheesecake filling.
- Add colored coconut, one color at a time, all over the cake. Use your hand to gently push coconut onto cake.
- Serve immediately.
*For the frosting on this spring cake, I used the cheesecake filling recipe from my Strawberry Cheesecake Bites.
This spring cake is so simple and versatile. You can use whatever food coloring colors you have on hand. If you don’t have any shredded coconut, you can use sprinkles. Don’t have strawberries? Add blueberries or bananas. Pudding would also be delicious in the middle of this cake. Can’t find Angel Food Cake? Most any store-bought cake can be used. Or even make a boxed cake.
This spring cake would be a great Easter dessert. It’s perfect as-is or add jelly beans and Peeps!
I love hearing from you. What is your favorite part about spring? Share in the comments below.