I was in the mood for something sweet. So I figured I’d make cupcakes! But what kind…hmmm…how about something with lime?! YES! So here’s what I made:
These were a bit on the sweet side. Here’s a tip…I used flaked coconut, not sweetened coconut. The frosting had a great lime flavor.
- Box of white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- ⅓ c canola oil
- 1 can of pineapple chunks drained, juice reserved
- 2tsp lime zest
- chocolate chips, melted to drizzle on pineapple chunks
- I frosted with Cream Cheese Lime Frosting
- and topped with chocolate drizzled pineapple chunks and flaked coconut (colored green)
- Drain pineapple juice from pineapple chunks.
- Put pineapple chunks on a kitchen towel to take as much moisture out as possible
- I followed the directions on the boxed cake mix. It calls for 1 and ¼ cups of water. I substituted 1 cup of water with 1 cup of pineapple juice (drained the can of pineapple chunks). I also added in 2 tsp lime zest at the end. Bake according to directions on box.
- Put pineapple chunks on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper and drizzle melted chocolate on top. Put in the refrigerator to set.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and top with coconut and pineapples.